Judge should offer AP African American studies

The pilot curriculum of the College Board’s AP African American studies class.

Sarah Daw, staff

I believe that the Black history that I have been taught in school has been severely lacking.

The history that I was taught only went as far as the Civil Rights Movement, and it did not dive into the importance and impact of the African American community before then. I remember doing a project in elementary school on Martin Luther King Jr., but I was never taught how he and other leaders were able to make the difference they did. It is unfortunate that Black history was not thoroughly covered in my school career, and I would love for Judge to offer the AP course in African American studies from the College Board.

While there is controversy surrounding such a course, I believe it is necessary for students to have a comprehensive understanding of the African American experience.

The New York Times explains that in response to Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’ banning of the curriculum in his state, “the College Board purged the names of many Black writers and scholars associated with critical race theory, the queer experience and Black feminism. It ushered out some politically fraught topics, like Black Lives Matter, from the formal curriculum.”

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’ main argument against this course is that he believes the material could be “politically biased.”

I believe the introduction of an AP course in African American studies would be beneficial to Judge students, as it would provide them with a more comprehensive understanding of African American history. It is important that students are taught the complete history of the African American community and how their struggles have shaped the United States.

Not only would such a course build empathy and understanding, but it would also encourage students to engage with the material and learn more outside of the classroom.