‘The journey is the thing’

26 years of excellence with George Angelo

Mr. George Angelo in 2009 when he was named Educator Hero by the Greater Salt Lake Chapter of the American Red Cross.

Filmed by Oliver Laughlin and Evan Chisholm and Edited by Evan Chisholm

George Frech and Evan Chisholm

In the late 1990s Mr. George Angelo, a park ranger and part-time ski bum, had his mind set on finding “that Utah powder.”

And so, Angelo left his job at a Jesuit Catholic High School and headed to Salt Lake City. However, Angelo’s ski trip didn’t go quite as planned, and rather than finding great skiing, he found a new school to call home.

After hearing about Judge Memorial Catholic High School, he met with the principal at the time, Renee Genereux, relaunching his teaching career in a new home. Combining his love for teaching and the outdoors, Angelo began his career by creating a sports medicine program.

From starting a sports medicine program to vastly improving security on the campus, Angelo has had a thorough impact on the school and students of Judge Memorial since his joining the staff in 1997. He has trained hundreds of students to become certified across the vast spectrum of medical fields. Not only did Angelo help educate students in sports medicine, he greatly improved campus security through the creation of the Safe School Program – a program in which leaders of the school meet to plan security drills, discuss areas of security that need improvement around the school, and update security protocols.

He remarked on why he’s been able to build such a successful security program saying, “I think my background has allowed me to build a role model program.”

However, Angelo, although playing a vital role in both the sports medicine program and campus security, stressed that he doesn’t deserve all the credit for the two programs’ successes.

“I can’t say I’ve done it alone… I’ve had a phenomenal team to work with, super supportive and always wanting to learn.”

Angelo made it very clear the importance of having a safe space for all students on campus, and the ICC and Safe School System both work to accomplish that. Angelo’s experience as an EMS officer and park ranger combined with his love for teaching and education enabled him to effectively create a safe learning environment for Judge students and faculty alike.

Angelo says that he regards his accomplishments in sports medicine and campus security as second to the moments he has been able to share with his students. Angelo, a dynamic teacher who knows how to connect with students far beyond an educational level, has no shortage of more than memorable experiences during his time at Judge Memorial. Casually naming the time he trained 45 students, all members of his sports medicine class, to work at the Olympic venues for the American Red Cross in 2002 as one of his favorite memories, showing just how willing Angelo is to go above and beyond for his students. Of course, grandiose moments such as these are amazing, but for Angelo, it’s the everlasting seconds when a student finds their passion, and the letters from past students expressing their gratitude to have him as a mentor that have made his 26-year career at Judge more than worthwhile.

“Just think of what a seed that is for a teacher to hear a student say they felt like part of a team.”

In his mind, his great accomplishments in campus security and sports medicine are nothing compared to any success he’s had in helping create a learning environment for students.

“The pinnacle thing is to create these programs for the students to learn and develop.”

In 2021, Angelo was tragically diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Through his diagnosis and battle with cancer, Angelo continued to remain a positive light for the studentsl, refusing to let his sickness tamper his relations with students. He decided that he had a job to complete and that he would not allow cancer to take away from his ever-positive impact on the Judge community.

Now, Angelo believes that his job is complete and that he has made the changes within Judge that he wanted to see, and he has decided to retire. He looks forward to a retirement full of fishing and the outdoors. His colleagues at his old job as a park ranger have jumped on the opportunity of having Angelo return to being a park ranger, inviting him to come to work with them once again.

No matter what Angelo decides to do, he said that he plans on taking things slower and enjoying what cancer tried to take away from him.

“It’s an important time for me to use the time to do things I want to do.”

Of course, losing an impactful and cornerstone teacher such as George Angelo is a poignant reality for the students and faculty of Judge. However, Angelo has full confidence in his replacements, stressing that the same team that helped him to become the teacher and mentor he is today will continue his legacy. Dean Matthew Douglas will take over as head of security, Mr. Trevor Wilson will replace Angelo in all academic classes, and Jenny will ensure the longevity of the impressive sports medicine program.

He speaks highly of his replacements saying, “There’s a great team of administrators that will lead the school forward.”

George Angelo will be greatly missed. Beyond his impressive improvements in campus security and the creation of one of the most successful high school sports medicine programs in Utah, Angelo’s charisma and charm have touched the hearts of all students that had the chance to learn from him. His smile and presence will be irreplaceable around the campus, but the team that Angelo has created around him will carry on his legacy.