The Student News Site of Judge Memorial Catholic High School

Bulldog Press

Bulldog Press

Bulldog Press

Recent Results
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
1
Manti
2
May 4 / Boys Soccer
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
6
Delta
0
May 1 / Boys Soccer
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
7
Providence Hall
0
Apr 23 / Boys Soccer
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
8
Summit Academy
0
Apr 19 / Boys Soccer
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
2
Juan Diego
1
Apr 16 / Boys Soccer
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
1
Providence Hall
0
Apr 12 / Boys Soccer
Instagram
X
https://twitter.com/thebulldogpress

New boys basketball players at Judge

Sophomores show their spirit at the 2023 Homecoming pep assembly. (Benji Gillespie)

Last season, the Judge Memorial boys basketball team was missing just a few pieces. The team was solid, going to the second round of the playoffs and winning games against 5A schools such as Kearns, Hunter, and Roy. However, come region play the team couldn’t put together the pieces they had, and it was clear that the team needed a few more key players. This year, head coach Sanjin Kolovrat has brought exactly that to the team in the form of five transfer students. These transfer students include three talented juniors — Jj Apathjang, Tobi Cendese, and Deniz Akbas — as well as two promising sophomores: Solomon King and AJ Peek. The “Suit Up” crew had the chance to talk to three of these transfer students and learn about their journey to Judge Memorial and their hopes for the season.

The crew first talked to Deniz Akbas, a 16-year-old sophomore. Deniz has had quite the journey to Judge which started two years ago when he left his family, home, and friends in Turkey to come to America. For Deniz, the choice was a hard but simple one as he figured his goals of playing basketball at a high level while still receiving a good education were to be found in America. Deniz made his cross-continental move to America at the beginning of high school, attending Layton Christian Academy during his freshman and sophomore years. This year he decided his best chance at a state championship was at Judge and plans on making that chance a reality for the team and himself this year.

Next, the crew sat down with Tobi Cendese, a junior. Like Deniz, Tobi has also had an unconventional route to Judge, moving to Utah from Canada where he played basketball since elementary school. However unlike Deniz, Judge Memorial is a familiar place to Tobi and his family. Tobi’s grandfather, Ivan Cendese, was the principal of Judge Memorial in the 1960s and Tobi’s father is a Judge alumni. Tobi, like Deniz has his eyes set on the state championship as his goal this year.

Lastly, we talked to Solomon. Solomon is a sophomore this year from the United Kingdom. While his decision to come to the United States, he felt it was necessary to achieve his longtime goal of playing professional basketball. Solomon decided to take his talents to Judge because he felt that the academic and athletic program suited him the best. 

For the last interview, the crew talked to sophomore Solomon King. Originally born in the United Kingdom, Solomon grew up with a basketball in his hands. His passion for the sport quickly developed into a lifetime goal of playing professional basketball. Solomon decided that to reach that goal, moving to the United States was a need. And so, Solomon left his home in the United Kingdom and came to Judge Memorial in pursuit of a state championship and a program that can elevate him to the next level.

The Suit Up crew alongside the Judge Memorial boys basketball team hopes that the students of Judge will share in the hopes of a state championship, by coming to support the team at home and away games alike.

PACK THE YERK!