The Student News Site of Judge Memorial Catholic High School

Bulldog Press

Bulldog Press

Bulldog Press

Recent Results
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
1
Manti
2
May 4 / Boys Soccer
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
6
Delta
0
May 1 / Boys Soccer
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
7
Providence Hall
0
Apr 23 / Boys Soccer
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
8
Summit Academy
0
Apr 19 / Boys Soccer
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
2
Juan Diego
1
Apr 16 / Boys Soccer
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
1
Providence Hall
0
Apr 12 / Boys Soccer
Instagram
X
https://twitter.com/thebulldogpress

PAC-12 After Dark, Officially in The Dark

The dissolution of the PAC-12, an NCAA conference that has roots of over 100 years, was announced this past year as a result of various schools leaving. The “Conference of Champions” has been one of the most entertaining parts of college sports for decades, boasting some of the most iconic moments in all of college sports:

• “The play,” Stanford’s band going onto the field early, ultimately losing them the game
  • Utah’s first football conference championship, only one year after losing the lives of Aaron Lowe and Ty Jordan.
  • UCLA’s 1964-1976 men’s basketball dynasty, led by famous coach John Wooden.
  • The infamous PAC-12 after-dark football games every Saturday night.
  • Stanford’s women’s basketball upset over South Carolina in 2021, leading them to a national championship that year.
  • UCLA and Utah maintaining dominance in women’s gymnastics for over two decades

Although there have been many great memories to reminisce on, these athletic programs have plenty to look forward to in the coming years. Ranging from new and better competition, renewed rivalries, and more opportunities for teams to thrive on their own.

• Dominant colleges like Oregon, Utah, USC, UCLA, Washington, and others will continue to thrive in their new conferences.
  • Utah’s football team will be foaming at the mouth with anticipation, finally playing BYU again, reuniting the Holy War rivalry.
  • Washington State and Oregon State have the chance to bloom independently while we await their decision on what path they will follow.

Despite all of these benefits, getting rid of the PAC-12 has been one of the most disappointing decisions in recent sports history. While many people may see the economic bonus of this conference realignment, it is getting rid of so much nostalgia in all college sports, setting the new Power 4 conferences up for failure.

Things like PAC-12 after-dark football make it one of the most exhilarating sports to watch, and losing that will undoubtedly be a blow to the sport. This unique group of teams, when put together, has always been capable of shaking up any college sport. Without that, many of these athletic competitions will lack that almost inevitable astonishment at the end of the season, whether it be football, basketball, baseball, soccer, or even gymnastics.

The PAC-12 not only entertained the world of college athletics, but also balanced out the competition. With these changes, NCAA powerhouse teams like Washington, Oregon, UCLA, and USC will join the Big Ten, which already has programs like Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, and Purdue. So many good teams being in one conference will lead to domination over opposing groups, thus making the realm of college athletics less entertaining and more one-sided than ever.