The Student News Site of Judge Memorial Catholic High School

Bulldog Press

Bulldog Press

Bulldog Press

Recent Results
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
1
Manti
2
May 4 / Boys Soccer
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
6
Delta
0
May 1 / Boys Soccer
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
7
Providence Hall
0
Apr 23 / Boys Soccer
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
8
Summit Academy
0
Apr 19 / Boys Soccer
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
2
Juan Diego
1
Apr 16 / Boys Soccer
Judge Memorial Catholic High School
1
Providence Hall
0
Apr 12 / Boys Soccer
Instagram
X
https://twitter.com/thebulldogpress

Bill to bring lotter to Utah

On Friday February 2nd, 2024 Joint Resolution 24 was introduced to the Utah State legislature that attempts to bring the lottery to Utah. The reasoning behind this bill is to prevent people from driving out of state and wasting time and gas money to buy lottery tickets. It is Utahns spend 200 million dollars a year outside of the state on lottery tickets. However due to the massive presence of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Utah, their idea on the matter has a big effect on whether or not the bill will be passed. When Senate Majority Leader Evan Vickers was asked about this he said “I’d probably bet quite a bit of money in Vegas it wouldn’t pass.”

Although this bill won’t affect me until I turn 18 it’s still something that intrigues me. I can see what they mean when they say that Utahns are wasting their time and gas money to go get lottery tickets outside of the state. I agree with this because I see this happen a lot and has led to some big issues with adults leaving every weekend to Idaho just to go gamble or buy lottery tickets but with the passing of this bill that can end and people will be able to stay home with their families and waste less money and time in doing so. The waste of time and money isn’t the only problem but also Utah is 1 of the 5 states that the lottery is illegal in and passing this bill will change that and could possibly put an end to the constant stereotype that Utah is a boring state. I hope that the bill is passed because the lottery isn’t anything crazy and is most definitely not something that is worth driving out of the state for.